Sunday, October 5, 2008

Stories about Edwin Whiting




Hi everyone this is Jack and Carolyn.

So here's a bit of family history for you. The Whiting line goes back as follows: Grandpa (Loren) Whiting, Charles Jr, Charles Sr, Edwin (pictured), then Elisha Whiting. This may not be new to some of you as it was me, but Edwin and Elisha & their wives were pioneers and lived amongst the Saints in Missouri and Illinois! Here are a few stories that may interest you.

Edwin's personal witness and testimony of the prophet Joseph Smith and other stories about him and his wife, Mary Elizabeth Cox: http://oscox.org/mecwhiting/mehistoryindex.html

A biography on Elisha Whiting and some of his posterity: http://www.startup-family.com/PDF_Files/Elisha_Whiting.pdf

If you go to LDS.org, select "About the Church" then "Church History". There you will see a link for the "Mormon Pioneer Overland Trail". If you type in Edwin Whiting you'll find out what Company he and Mary Elizabeth were in when they came across the plains (Edwin was 39 at the time)! You need to click his name, then the company. From there you can click on "View Individuals Known to Have Traveled in this Company".

If you go to, https://new.familysearch.org/ and enter your membership record number (on your temple recommend or from your ward clerk) and confirmation date you can log in and see all of the family history work that has been assembled there for our family (there's quite a bit!).

You can also search Google and find out much more on Edwin, Mary Elizabeth Cox or I'm sure many others! You might find out about his famous chair making buisness or his fruit tree story. I've had a lot of fun and hope you do as well!!!

(This is Carolyn sneaking in a comment because I want to make sure my cool husband gets all the credit for this post and research--he definitely has the spirit of Elijah! And if he has the "time" to do it, then I guess we all do.:))

3 comments:

Toni Hendrickson said...

Hey!
I have was so thrilled to come across your blog. I am a descendant of Sally & Elisha Whiting also. My Grandfather's grandfather was Sylvester, the grandson of Sally & Elisha, and the son of Sylvester, who became a Cutlerite. From what I understand, his mother, Elizabeth, left Sylvester and brought her son, Sylvester, with her across the plains. They settled in Gunnison, Utah. Do you have any information about them? Thanks! Toni Hendrickson

Kathy said...

Thanks for posting this great information! I too am a descendant of Elisha & Sally (Hulet) Whiting and their children Chauncey and Catherine Louisa. Chauncey married Editha Ann Morley. Catherine Louisa married Nelson Talcott. Their children, Isaac Whiting and Sarah Jane Talcott married each other. They settled in Clitherall, MN. I have posted more information on my website, kathysfamily.org.

Unknown said...

I'm Donna Fraga a descendant from Edwin Whiting. My GreatGreatgrandmother is Mary Elizabeth Cox the third wife of Edwin.My descendants are mostly from Mapleton and Springville Utah. I am collecting stories about Edwin and his families if anyone out there would like to share I'd love to get them. dfraga55@gmail.com